- Recipe serves 4
- Preparation time 10 minutes
- Cooking time 90 minutes
- 3 Large brinjals, sliced 1cm thick
- 30 ml Olive oil, divided
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 15 ml Roberstons Origanum
- 1 x 400g Tin plum tomatoes
- 1 Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
- 1 Large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 80 g Parmesan cheese (or Cheddar), grated
- 80 g Dried breadcrumbs
- 200 g Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat and fry the brinjal slices for 2 minutes on each side, until golden. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and Roberstons Origanum and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil and Parmesan.
- In baking dish, layer the brinjals on the bottom, followed by the tomato sauce. Repeat until the brinjals and sauce are all used.
- Top the bake with Mozzarella and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.